How to Use VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol)
Every enterprise and organization depends on reliable communications. An important means of communication is voice, or telephone, communications. In most organizations today, a telephone company is the primary vendor for providing telephone communications. In the near future, however, the Internet might be the largest provider of telephone communications.
VoIP, which provides for voice communications using the Internet instead of standard telephone connections. Two advantages claimed for VoIP are improved reliability and much lower costs. Both of these advantages are attractive to businesses, and VoIP is forecasted to become the standard voice communications method within the next several years.
VoIP also is available to individual users. One primary means to use VoIP is through the service offered by Skype, a company that offers free, unlimited calls through an Internet connection. The Skype software also is free. Using Skype, you can talk to another Skype user via the Internet anywhere in the world for no cost whatsoever. If the person you call is not a Skype user, you can use Skype to call their ordinary landline or cell phone quite inexpensively.
For example, to call someone on a landline telephone in the United Kingdom from anywhere in the world, the cost is approximately 2 cents per minute.
To download Skype, complete the following steps:
- Start your Internet browser, type skype.com in the Address bar and then press the ENTER key.
- When the Skype home page is displayed, explore the Website for information about using Skype. When you are ready, click the Get Skype now button.
- When the File Download- Security Warning dialog box is displayed, click the Save button.
- In the Save As dialog box, select the Desktop for the location of the saved file. Then, click the Save button. The Skype Setup file will download. This may take a few minutes, depending on the speed of your internet connection, because of the large file size.
- If the Download complete window opens, click the Close button. The SkypeSetup icon is displayed on the desktop.
- Double-click the SkypeSetup icon on the desktop. If you the User Account Control dialog box appears, click the Yes button.
- In the Skype – Install window, select the language you would like to use, and then click the ‘I agree – Next’ button.
- Then Check mark in ‘Skype Click to Call” and Click ‘Continue‘ button
- If you do not wish to install the Bing Toolbar and MSN homepage set, remove the check mark from the appropriate check box. Click the ‘Continue‘ button.
- When the installation is complete, click the Finish button.
Skype now is installed on your computer. The Skype icon should appear on your desktop. To start and use Skype, complete the following steps:
- Double-click the Skype icon on your desktop icon. Then first time you start Skype. You can see a sign in box, where you need to input your Skype username and password. Also, you can use alternative account ‘Microsoft Account’ or ‘Facebook’ to sign in Skype Account.
- Create a new Skype Account click “Create an account” button below the sign in box. Then, its open a new browser, here you enter your first name and last name, E-mail address, Birth date, Gender, Country/Region, City, Language, Mobile phone number (optional), How do you intend to use Skype, Skype name, and password. The Skype name is the name you will use to start Skype each time, together with the password. You can use any name and password that has not already been used on Skype. Also, be sure type the captcha code, and then click the ‘I agree-Continue’ button to complete your registration.
- Then back to the Skype sign in dialog box and enter your ‘Skype name’ and ‘password’ to click ‘sign in’ button.
- If your Skype name or password already has been used by another user, you must select another Skype name or password.
- After installing Skype, you can make calls to other Skype users anywhere in the world for no cost.
- To learn the techniques for calling another Skype user, click Help on the menu bar, click Get Help: Answers and Support on the Help menu, and then select the subject about which you want to learn.